Monday, July 14, 2008

The Birthday and the War Museum


Here is a photo of my best friend, Garth. It was his birthday on Saturday and so I threw him a party. About twenty people came and we had a lot of fun playing golf in the backyard and eating appetizers from Costco.
My favorite part of the night was watching a bunch of grown men and women playing mini golf together. It was so cool to listen to the cheering and laughter brought on by each attempt to get the illusive hole-in-one. (I didn't get one).
This picture was taken a few weeks ago on the roof of the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. Garth and I went there on our first-annual 'Finlay-Family-Vacation.' I thought it was interesting that the museum curators were able to make war look so polished and sanitary. By the time we worked our way through the entire museum we were both exhausted.
The museum is a noisy place. Soundtracks play throughout it with gunfire and explosions. There is, however one room that stands out because of its serenity. There is a fountain with a single tombstone for the 'Unknown Soldier' (Known Unto God). It is quiet there. I think it is one of the saddest and most beautiful man-made places I've ever been. The water is reflected to the ceiling by a long narrow window illuminates the room.

No comments: