Thursday, July 24, 2008

Choking Hazard

I rode my newly-borrowed bike to work today. I feel so ecological and healthy.

I got to work this morning and I started my shift with some watermelon that Garth had sent with me. I popped the first piece in my mouth and proceeded to put up the 'open' signs. I started to choke. I'm sure I don't have to explain exactly what choking looks like.

Now, where I work, there is a dumping station for holiday trailers. This morning, a pastor from Christian Fellowship Assembly was getting his camper ready for the weekend. He and his friend were chatting when they looked up and noticed that I was making unusual noises (probably because of the watermelon lodged somewhere between my lungs and my mouth).

Before the pastor could run over and start administering the Heimlich, I coughed up the offending piece of fruit. (Thankfully!) I thought it would be nice to acknowledge their acknowledgement, so I went over to chat for a bit. The pastor was friendly. Even though I had watermelon-cough-juice all over my hands, and the pastor had, well, sewage all over his, we shook hands.

Something in that handshake made me happy deep inside. It was nice that it didn't matter that I had coughed all over myself. I want to show that kind of respect to others. So I think I will.

No comments: